Building Strong Foundations: Phonological Awareness Support with McKibben & Monte
Empowering Children with the Key to Reading Success
Phonological awareness refers to the ability to recognize and manipulate the sounds and structure of spoken language. It includes skills such as counting, categorizing, rhyming, blending, segmenting and manipulating (adding, deleting, and substituting). Some examples of phonological awareness include counting the number of syllables in a word, identifying rhyming words, and blending sounds to form words.
At McKibben & Monte, we recognize that phonological awareness is a fundamental skill that lays the groundwork for successful reading and language development. Our specialized programs are designed to empower children with the phonological awareness skills they need to excel academically.
Understanding Phonological Awareness
Phonological awareness is the ability to recognize and manipulate the sounds and structure of spoken language. It includes skills such as rhyming, segmenting words into sounds, and blending sounds to form words. Developing strong phonological awareness is crucial for reading and literacy success.
Here’s why it matters:
- Reading Success: Phonological awareness is directly linked to reading achievement. Strong phonological awareness allows individuals to to decode words, recognize patterns, and understand the relationship between sounds and letters.
- Spelling Skills: When individuals have a solid grasp of phonological awareness, they can apply their knowledge of sounds to spell accurately. They understand the connection between sounds and letters, enabling them to spell words phonetically.
- Vocabulary Development: Phonological awareness enhances vocabulary development by helping individuals recognize and differentiate sounds in words. This awareness enables them to better understand and learn new words, building their vocabulary and language skills.
- Listening Skills: Phonological awareness requires active listening and discrimination of sounds. By developing these skills, individuals improve their ability to focus. concentrate, and follow verbal instructions effectively.
- Communication Skills: Phonological awareness supports overall communication skills. It helps individuals develop clear articulation, improve sentence structure, and become more confident and expressive communicators.
Our in-school support services extend to children who need assistance with phonological awareness in various Ohio areas, including Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Toledo, Perrysburg, and Youngstown – Northern Kentucky, and Tampa, Florida. Our certified professionals are dedicated to helping children build a strong foundation in phonological awareness.
Why Choose McKibben & Monte?
- Expertise: Our therapists have specialized training in phonological awareness development. They use evidence-based strategies to enhance phonological awareness skills.
- Individualized Plans: We understand that each child’s phonological awareness needs are unique. Our support plans are tailored to address their specific challenges and goals.
- Convenient Access: We provide our services directly in your child’s school, ensuring that support is seamlessly integrated into their daily routine.
- Collaboration: We work closely with educators and parents to ensure that our support aligns with the child’s overall literacy development.
- Progress Tracking: Our focus is on helping children develop strong phonological awareness skills that pave the way for reading success. We monitor progress and celebrate milestones achieved along the way.
If you believe your child may benefit from support in phonological awareness or if you’re looking to bolster their foundational reading skills, reach out to us today. Contact us to schedule an evaluation. Our team will work closely with you to understand your child’s needs and create a personalized plan to enhance their phonological awareness.